Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Visit To The Hales

  Mother and I called on the Hales yesterday, as we had planned. Their house was so small and dingy! Why, our staircases are wider then the drawing room. Miss Hale and her mother were very polite and ladylike, but Miss Hale is not musical, and they had no piano. I wonder how they can exsist without one. It seems to me to be a necessary of life. Miss Hale has been to London, however; indeed, she lived there for several years. Oh, how I long to go to London! It must be so delightful to be able to hear all the newest music and see all the new fashions as soon as they come out. She had not read Tales of the Alhambra, which I found disappointing. She probably doesn't have much taste in literature.
  It turns out that the Hales left their vicarage in Helstub(it was something like that) because of a matter of conscience. I'm not quite sure what that means, but I think it was rather foolish of Mr. Hale to give up his living and come here. I can't imagine how anyone could trade a nice country home for a dirty, smoky place like Milton. But then, it's none of my business.
  Of course, Mother had to brag about John before we left. Why does she always do that? It's not as if he's anything out of the ordinary. She seems to think that just because he worked his way up from poverty and paid off all Father's debts and started Marlborough Mills and became a magistrate that he's something special. She never brags about ME. And there's far more reason to brag about me than about John. It's not as if he's a musical prodigy. Oh, well. I think I'll go play the piano.

2 comments:

Miss Dashwood said...

Helstub indeed. Why, in the country it is not uncommon to dine with four-and-twenty families, I will have you know!

Miss Dashwood said...

Botheration, I forgot to sign my name to my last comment.
~Mrs. Bennet