Monday, August 13, 2012

Bored Ramblings {Fanny Thornton}

  I am quite bored. I can't go shopping because it's raining and I've used up most of the small pittance that John calls an allowance. I played the piano all afternoon until Mother suggested I do something else, and for lack of anything better to do I decided to write a blog post about whatever comes to mind.
  I brought such a pretty dress yesterday! It's bright pink with blue, orange, and green ruffles. Mother gave a sort of groan when she saw it. I suppose she thought it was too showy. Really, the lack of taste in my family is quite astounding! But of course, I more than make up for any lack on Mother or John's part. 
  I also recently ordered a water mattress. They're supposed to be very comfortable. I'm not actually ill, but I am very delicate and I think it best to be prepared just in case.
  I'm going to re-trim one of my bonnets, but I can't decide whether to do pink ribbons or purple. Perhaps I'll ask Miss Latimer when I see her again. That reminds me, I'll have to lend her The Tales of the Alhambra. I think she would like it.
  I read Miss Dorrit's first post, and I quite envy her. I wish I could go to Europe! And from looking at the picture, her brother seems much nicer than mine. Milton is such a dull, smoky place, and I never get to go anywhere. How pleasant it would be if we discovered that John was the heir to a great fortune! Then we could buy an estate in the country, instead of living next to this noisy mill, and I could marry a member of Parliament, or an earl, or something.
  John just came home. I wonder if he's going to read with Mr. Hale this evening. I don't see why anyone, even someone as boring as John, would want  to take lessons. Especially on Aristotole and Plato. I tried reading Plato once, but I didn't get past the table of contents
  It's time for dinner now, so I'll have to stop writing.

3 comments:

Margaret Hale said...

Mrs. Thornton says...
Fanny, that book by Plato that you tried to read was the abridged and simplified version!

Miss Dashwood said...

Mr. Darcy says...
Miss Hale, you will never be an accomplished woman if you do not improve your mind by extensive reading.

Miss Dashwood said...

Mr. Tilney says...
If you want something to read that is more interesting than Plato, Miss Hale, might I recommend "The Mysteries of Udolpho"? It is a very nice book. I guarantee that you will enjoy it-- and if you do not, at least your hair will stand on end the entire time you read it.